Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they’ve encountered during the week, etc.).
- One of my entry points to sci-fi fandom was (like many) Star Wars. I remember the first action figure my parents got for me was an R2-D2. R2 used to have a ton of adventures on our swing set and took a lot of abuse going down the slide. I know Star Wars action figures are worth a nice sum of cash today, but none of mine were in any kind of collectible condition after all the years of playing with them.
- Another factor in the lack of collectibility value of my Star Wars figures was we lived in Hawaii for a while growing up. And the Air Force engineers dug a ditch in our yard. If you don’t know, Hawaii has red dirt that stains EVERYTHING. And this ditch made a GREAT alien world for my action figures. So, they were pretty stained up by the time I was done with them.
- I also kept all my action figures in an old Star Wars lunchbox. Ahhh, the days when we had metal lunchboxes.
- As much as I enjoy Star Wars, I still haven’t had time to watch Rogue One. It’s not lack of interest so much as lack of time. Or the feeling that I want/need to commit two plus hours to it. And with Shortcake, that isn’t always possible. And, so far, she has shown next to no interest in Star Wars.
On the other hand, she enjoys Star Trek and will look at the screen when the theme for Original Series or Next Generation comes on. Her Daddy couldn’t be more proud.
- When she was smaller, we used to “swoosh” across the living room when the Enterprise swooshed by in the opening credits. And she loved that too. She’s not too big to do that still. I think I may have to try it again with her before she gets too big.
- Speaking of Star Trek, I can’t believe this week is the mid-season finale for Discovery. Man, the first nine weeks have just zoomed by!
- I’ve got the first tie-in novel for Discovery sitting on my TBR pile, just mocking me. I think I may have to read it during the hiatus.
- Starting to catch up on The Flash this season and I’m loving season four. Only up to episode three, so if it all goes to heck in a handbasket, don’t tell me. It feels like the whole show has found its balance again and I’m loving it.
- So, it’s Sci-Fi Month and I’m trying to read/watch stuff in the sci-fi world. Any recommendations from anyone?