Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they’ve encountered during the week, etc.).
Saw a cool hash-tag challenge on Facebook, #TheDaughtersChallenge. While I’ve only been a father for a year and a half now, I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. Shortcake has changed my life and I love watching her grow up and explore her world. I sense there will be a gratuitous montage of Shortcake photos with this post.
- If I ever doubt how much E loves me, I will always remember that we celebrated our anniversary Sunday watching the Titans game and the debut of Star Trek: Discovery.
- Star Trek: Discovery has debuted and I’m annoyed at my fellow Trek fans. It’s been over a decade since we had new Trek on our television screens and too many of them are complaining about the distribution model. Here’s the thing. Thirty years ago TNG debuted in first-run syndication. At the time, that wasn’t a guarantee of success for the show. But it worked and we had new Trek on our screens for close to two decades. Now, Discovery is experimenting with the distribution model and fans are up in arms because they don’t want to pay for CBS All-Access to get it. It’s why we can’t have nice things.
- Can’t decide if I want to read the new Discovery tie-in novel or not. My Trek tie-in novel reading has declined a lot in the last decade. Maybe this is time to jump back in and enjoy the novel.
- Reading Sally Kilpatrick’s new novel, Bless Her Heart and really, really liking it. I swear she’s putting in Easter eggs for those of us who have had the privilege of knowing her in real life. (We matriuculated through the University of Tennessee together)
- I swear I’m becoming more like George Costanza/Larry David with every passing year. One thing that bugs me about a lot of my fellow inhabitants of this planet is how we’re all convinced the rules apply to everyone else but you. I see it a lot, from people parking in the no-parking zone (or as I call it the “no one but me parking zone”) to motorcycle riders who zoom up between rows of traffic on the congested interstate.
- Impractical Jokers is the funniest show on TV, hands down. I laugh every time I watch it.
- My local library has started up a group to discuss graphic novels. I’m intrigued by this and may have to participate. Alas, I forgot that the meeting was tonight. Maybe next month.
- Saw an article the other day that suggested that the BBC remake the lost episodes of Doctor Who since there David Bradley is doing such a great job of emulating William Hartnell’s work as the first Doctor. And while part of me would LOVE to see these episodes sitting happily on my DVD shelf, I’m still wary. I’m only for it if they don’t re-edit them (as they did with the animated “Power of the Daleks” where part one had a cold open and then rolled into the credits), the episodes were filmed in 4×3 as they were originally shot and the photos from that era were used to get as close as possible to the original look and feel of the show. I wouldn’t be shocked to see the BBC try to recreate episode four of “The Tenth Planet” so it could be shown and re-released on DVD.
- Cooler weather is forecast for this weekend! I am so excited about this. I love summer but I’m ready to pull out the long-sleeved portion of my wardrobe.