This week’s Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by the Broke and the Bookish) asks us to ponder characters names we’d give to children. When we were pondering names for Shortcake, we debated a lot of names from our favorite fictional universes. Here are a couple of our favorites (that we didn’t use).
- Kirk — I knew my wife was the one for me when she agreed that using Kirk somewhere in the name if we had a boy was a good idea.
- Archer — Multiple babies run in my wife’s family so in keeping with the Star Trek theme, we also had the name Archer if he had twin boys. In a related note, if we’d had quadruplets boys, we would have used the names of all four male Star Trek captains.
- Violet — My wife advocated heavily for this one.
- Peri — My wife really liked this name, even if it is the name of one of my favorite Doctor Who companions. Somewhere my good friend Sarah C. is snickering.
- Nicholas — I believe this came from my some of my wife’s favorite vampire romance novels.
- Harper — For a long time, we were leaning toward Harper because we both To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite novel.
- Kathryn — I think my wife had her literary influences for this one and I had the Star Trek influences.
And just in case you were wondering, Shortcake was one of the nicknames given to her by Daddy out of my affection for Happy Days. She also had a couple of outfits in her early days that had strawberries on them.