Today’s Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by the Broke and the Bookish) asks us to reflect on those characters we’d like to visit again as an adult. With the arrival of my daughter a few weeks ago, I’ve been reflecting on this question a bit lately as I ponder the books I want to read to her/have her read.
- The Cat in the Hat — It’s been years since I’ve read these classics by Dr. Suess and I look forward to visiting them again.
- Hamilton Duck — One of my favorite books as a child. My mom still has a copy for me to share with Shortcake when she’s old enough.
- Mr. Pine — From Mr. Pine’s Purple House
- The Quimby family — To say I loved the Ramona books growing up is an understatement. I also give an honorable mention to the Henry Huggins.
- The Hatcher family — Judy Blume’s family that gave us Peter and Fudge.
- The Great Brain — I read these a lot as a child and I’m curious to see if they hold up and will interest Shortcake.
- Encyclopedia Brown — I can trace my love of mystery novels to these books.
- Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables.
- Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird — Yes, it’s a long ways off, but this is on my “must read” list for Shortcake.
- Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn — I’d love for her to read these before they’re required reading.
Of course, when it comes to pop culture, I definitely want her to meet The Doctor, Captain James T. Kirk and the crew of the starship Enterprise and Marty McFly and Doc Brown (just off the top of my head)